Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: building multiple units in a city

To: Geeslaka Geezonga <geeslaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: building multiple units in a city
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:44:48 +0200

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 05:53:47AM -0500, Geeslaka Geezonga wrote:
> > This was proposed before but in a simpler version: if you finished the
> > production of an item in one turn the remaining shields are spent on
> > the next project. So a city with 33 shields suprplus could produce 3
> > warriors per turn. I think that this is a good idea and should be
> > implemented.
> >
> You say that it should be implemented up here...
>
> > Space Empires has a checkbox "Distribute points equally" in the
> > research dialog. I haven't found a reason to use it since there is no
> > loss if you have a tech earlier.
> >
> I was thinking of something akin to the worklist. e.g. the user
> would add a tech to the list and assign a priority.  That way the
> player would not be wasting research on insignificant techs, but
> would be able to divide research among techs of equal importance.

For this we have to goal tech. In a normal game you only have a
handful of these: republic, navigation, steam engine, railroad, ...
So changing setting the next goal if you reached one is uncommon.

> > For city production the only disadvantage would be the support costs
> > during the construction. So if you build 3 expensive units and you
> > currently would have them finished in turn 4, 8 and 12. So you would
> > have to pay 12 turns worth support. If you however produce them in
> > parallel all 3 would finish in turn 12 and you would have to pay 0
> > turns of support. IMHO this is bad since it imbalance the game for no
> > obvious reason.
> >

> But down here you appear to contradict your earlier statement.

Producing 3 warriors in one turn with 33 shield surplus: yes because
it provides an advantage for large cities.

Producing 3 warriors in parallel in a city with 4 shield surplus so
that these units finish at the same time: no because imbalance the
game for no obvious reason.

> And I intended this idea as a way of balancing the ability of
> small-pox to build many units at once.(to give large-pox players
> more of a chance)

> And you said nothing about my partially completed projects idea.

I have no opinion idea about it.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I heard if you play the NT-4.0-CD backwards, you get a satanic message."