Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4417) Use of ISAAC Random generator in Freeciv

To: bursig@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4417) Use of ISAAC Random generator in Freeciv
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:29:29 -0700

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 05:22:39AM -0700, Rafa³ Bursig wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Here is implementation of ISAAC random number generator for freeciv.
> It is faster from current code ( ~3x ) and give better (IMHO) result.
> This patch is only proposition and don't replace old code fully
> (savegame code is needed)

IMHO we don't need a cryptographic PRNG. A normal PRNG is enough. I
also think that the speed doesn't matter i.e. no impact on the global
profile. IMHO the only real property which freeciv requires is that
the numbers are reproducible. No 64-bit issues and no dependencies on
libc's rand() functions.

So I would stick with the current implementation of Knuth. The same as
Java does. If you want to dive into this you can check out the
Wichman-Hill generator. It is used as the default in Python.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Despite all the medical advances of the 20th century, the mortality