Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM

To: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM
From: "Astarot" <astarot-mailbox@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 17:56:26 +0400

Hello!

> The problem is another one: it isn't fair. In a "normal" freeciv turn
> all players move at the same time. This isn't possible in PBEM. The
> one solution we came up was that we need to record the commands of the
> all players and then execute them at the server in a fair manner which
> is very likely pseudo parallel. This requires major code rewrite and
> is unlikely to happen.

Well, in original game there was such an 'unfairness', but that made
nothing. That's OK, really.

> Ah, don't know how to do with Windows; maybe you can get some software to
> do this.

I wish I knew what to look for...

> Not a GPL problem - a good encryption can't be tampered by knowing the
> algorithm. But you need to run a server, and the server needs to know the
> key. So you know the key, too.

I mean the different thing. I want the savegames to become unreadable
without a client - that's easy. And then password will help.

No need in encryption with different key every time - just one key for all
copies. It will be somewhere in sources - but non-programmer won't be able
to find it and/or to use it. And passwords for the nations won't be
conneceted with the encryption process anyhow - they will be used only to
check, if the nation is opened by its owner.

That's just a slight defence - but that will be enough for everyone. And
you'll be able to say, that PBeM mode is supported at last ;)

---
Astarot.