Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM

To: "Astarot" <astarot-mailbox@xxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM
From: "T.J.T van Kooten" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 23:26:23 +0200

Astarot,

Another gamestyle concept that might work for you is
"Longturn". It's a Freeciv game where the server timeout
has been set to 24 hour. Meaning you can only play one
turn a day. So you log in, make your moves, end turn
end disconnect, wait till tomorrow and...rinse and  repeat.

Gislan and LarryN from the Polish civ site have set up a
server for hosting longturn games
(http://forums.civ.org.pl/index.php). They've added a
password patch that you need to login with. So no else
can take over your civ. I've been playing for over a month
now and the concept works great in practice. The start is
slow at the start but once you've got a couple of cities
going it becomes interesting as the chess like aspects of
civ take over.

Only downer during the game being two powerfailures
which meant the server went down as well. Although I
see it more as proof that the Freeciv longturn concept is
robust in multi player. It was just a matter of restarting
the server and loading the save to continue were we left
off.

 -the players come back-

Cheers,

Thomas (CapTVK)