Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2581) Layers proposal redux

To: raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2581) Layers proposal redux
From: "Juhani Heino" <juhani.heino@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 08:43:39 -0700

The webmail lost an answer I was making. Damn how handicapped
I'm netwise, but please bear with the equipment (it's not
mine...)

So I don't care to repeat writing it, just small points I
haven't seen answered.

>  - You still must be able to move into (in principle) a tile in order
> to be able to attack a unit there.

What about shore bombardment? And marines - without the transport
they couldn't move into the ocean tile, but they can attack it.

>  - Unit effects can specify additional attack properties, such as
> ability
> to attack other layers, additional defense power against attacks
> from
> specified layer, additional attack power when attacking a specified
> layer, etc.)

This seems like a good idea. But let's not make it too
complicated.

And I had a radical suggestion: does the battle have to go on
until one is dead? After a few rounds you could leave the
units there with reduced hitpoints. Especially in sub
chasing it would be realistic that you catch it or probably
not. And it's quite weird if a plane is blasted when it
happens to lose to a sub... now very improbable but it makes
sub catching too easy IMO.

Juhani