Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2581) Layers proposal redux

To: raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2581) Layers proposal redux
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 13:22:25 -0700

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 08:43:39AM -0700, Juhani Heino wrote:
> The webmail lost an answer I was making. Damn how handicapped
> I'm netwise, but please bear with the equipment (it's not
> mine...)
>
> So I don't care to repeat writing it, just small points I
> haven't seen answered.
>
> >  - You still must be able to move into (in principle) a tile in order
> > to be able to attack a unit there.
>
> What about shore bombardment?

> And marines - without the transport they couldn't move into the
> ocean tile, but they can attack it.

Marines aren't special cases here. This means that a marine can only
attack from sea to land or from land to land. But not from sea to
sea. See 5 and 6 in test_unit_move_to_tile.

> And I had a radical suggestion: does the battle have to go on
> until one is dead? After a few rounds you could leave the
> units there with reduced hitpoints. Especially in sub
> chasing it would be realistic that you catch it or probably
> not. And it's quite weird if a plane is blasted when it
> happens to lose to a sub... now very improbable but it makes
> sub catching too easy IMO.

So what are the advantages? Realism and what else?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  This customer comes into the computer store. "I'm looking for a mystery