Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Ships and Rivers, how about a HoverCraft! [was Re: Suggest

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Ships and Rivers, how about a HoverCraft! [was Re: Suggestions/Ideas]
From: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 11:30:39 +0100 (BST)

> Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 10:14:30 +0200 (CEST)

> Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestions/Ideas
>
> On Tue, 6 May 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 5 May 2003, Joseph Ennis wrote:
> > > I would like to implement the idea the ships could
> > > sail up rivers.

If a ship can sail up a river and there is a city on the river, will you
still need a land unit to invade the city?

> > > 2.) Allow only certain ships to sail up rivers, using
> > > a flag in the units.ruleset file (easy, but requires
> > > adding more info to the ruleset.)
> >
> > Yes, this is the way to do it.

Makes sense to restrict it in some way, perhaps only allowing ships go one
or two squares in from the coast.

> I think the 3rd option is better. I don't know if pepople from FreeAC
> already added terrain height to their project, but if not they would be
> very happy to see this patch being made the 3rd way.
>
> > > with Trireme, Caravel, Galleon, Transport, Frigate,
> > > Ironclad, and Destoyer all being able to travel up
> > > rivers.
> >
> > I think only Trireme should have this ability. It would give it a
unique
> > edge over later craft, giving players a reason (finally) for not
> > researching Navigation so quickly. Such a unit flag can be put to good

It strikes me as very odd that you cannot build old units.
I always try and hold onto my Sail/Caravel Units because later units such
as Transport have no attack value at all.
Surely the fact that antique units cost more to maintain should be penalty
enough and that if I really want to it should be possible to build them?
[the 'show future targets button' could be modified to also show obsolete
tech]

> I would add Transport also, 'cause Trireme counts as combat unit, so
under
> Democracy you'll have troubles trsnsporting your units by river. BTW: If
> we enable traveling by rivers we should add a new unit Barge which

I dont particularly like the idea of a barge.

What I thought might be nice would be a HoverCraft unit, land (restricted
to plains, grassland, or swamp) and sea.  Not sure if it would make sense
to give it any transport capabilities (but I suppose hovercraft are used
as an alternative to commericial ferry boats). Basically I am trying to
rationalise an amphibious unit, just because i think it would be cool.
(If no one cries foul, I will add a suggestion to RT)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/