Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Ships and Rivers, how about a HoverCraft! [was Re: Sug

To: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Ships and Rivers, how about a HoverCraft! [was Re: Suggestions/Ideas]
From: Paul Zastoupil <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 10:20:40 -0700

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 11:30:39AM +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

> > Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 10:14:30 +0200 (CEST)
>
> > Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestions/Ideas

> If a ship can sail up a river and there is a city on the river, will you
> still need a land unit to invade the city?

> > > Yes, this is the way to do it.
>
> Makes sense to restrict it in some way, perhaps only allowing ships go one
> or two squares in from the coast.
>
> > I think the 3rd option is better. I don't know if pepople from FreeAC
> > already added terrain height to their project, but if not they would be
> > very happy to see this patch being made the 3rd way.

> > > I think only Trireme should have this ability. It would give it a
> unique
> > > edge over later craft, giving players a reason (finally) for not
> > > researching Navigation so quickly. Such a unit flag can be put to good
>
> It strikes me as very odd that you cannot build old units.
> I always try and hold onto my Sail/Caravel Units because later units such
> as Transport have no attack value at all.
> Surely the fact that antique units cost more to maintain should be penalty
> enough and that if I really want to it should be possible to build them?
> [the 'show future targets button' could be modified to also show obsolete
> tech]
>
> > I would add Transport also, 'cause Trireme counts as combat unit, so
> under
> > Democracy you'll have troubles trsnsporting your units by river. BTW: If
> > we enable traveling by rivers we should add a new unit Barge which
>
> I dont particularly like the idea of a barge.
>
> What I thought might be nice would be a HoverCraft unit, land (restricted
> to plains, grassland, or swamp) and sea.  Not sure if it would make sense
> to give it any transport capabilities (but I suppose hovercraft are used
> as an alternative to commericial ferry boats). Basically I am trying to
> rationalise an amphibious unit, just because i think it would be cool.
> (If no one cries foul, I will add a suggestion to RT)

Well I won't argue for or against it going into Freeciv, but hovercraft,
namely the LCAC, are a very huge part of US Marine amphibious abilities.
They do have transport capabilities.  Each one can carry 6 HMVs or 4
Bradleys (IIRC), and a whole bunch of marines.  I'm not sure if thats
worth a whole "Freeciv unit" or not.

<sidenote> The "gator" carriers are also a big part of marine operations.
They have a well deck that can accomodate 2 LCACs.  They also carry a
marine helicopter "wing" with harriers, and 5000 troops.</sidenote>

Hey, all I'm good for is rambling these days... :/
--
Paul Zastoupil