Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Ships and Rivers, how about a HoverCraft!

To: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Ships and Rivers, how about a HoverCraft!
From: Łukasz Rekucki <lucas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 20:11:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Alan Horkan wrote:

> I dont particularly like the idea of a barge.
>
> What I thought might be nice would be a HoverCraft unit, land (restricted
> to plains, grassland, or swamp) and sea.  Not sure if it would make sense
> to give it any transport capabilities (but I suppose hovercraft are used
> as an alternative to commericial ferry boats). Basically I am trying to
> rationalise an amphibious unit, just because i think it would be cool.
> (If no one cries foul, I will add a suggestion to RT)
>
> Sincerely
>
> Alan Horkan
> http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

HoverCraft requires some high level technologies. An old fashioned barge
is no more than a simple wooden raft. This makes it avaible early in the
game. I don't want to addd another combat unit, but a naval unit with
capabilities of Caravan. This kind of transportation was very popular
before 19th century ( the invention of steam engine ) and in some parts of
the world still is.

-----
Łukasz Rekucki