Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4111) Client-side AI

To: Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4111) Client-side AI
From: "Mark Metson" <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:30:48 -0700

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> The purpose of this thread is to collect the arguments for and against the
> client-side AI and to discuss possible dangers and advantages.

> CONTRA:
>
> 1. There will be a lag between requests sent by the AI and their
> execution.  Everything will become much slower.

Computers keep getting faster, ridiculously faster. Plus what about gains
by parallelism, how many AIs can one computer run? How many smart AIs? How
many really really smart AIs?

We might have to really look at is this a strategy game or a shoot-em-up.
If someone wants a shoot-em-up with a Civ flavour how about moving toward
letting them tell their AI what kind of policies they want their
civilisation to use then put them at the controls of their civ's
flagchariot or flagship or flagbattlemech or whatever and let them do
their shootemup hand/eye stuff within the context of such actual battles
as occur instead of trying to compress centuries of development and
diplomacy and politics and logistics into a couple of seconds of joystick
wiggling and trigger-pulling?

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/