Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3978) Meta ticket for mouse clicks

To: a-l@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3978) Meta ticket for mouse clicks
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 02:01:34 -0700

[a-l@xxxxxxx - Sat Apr 12 11:02:00 2003]:

> I thought it would be useful with a meta ticket to discuss how the
> various mouse click types should work in the client. I can't get
> "Alt" Click to work with GTK, so I guess Shift- and Control- clicks
> are the only options. In other words, this is a limited resource.
>
> Here is my suggestion for functionality. I have patches in the works.

Having consistent behavior between the different clients is a laudable
goal.  But do remember that not all mice are created equal.  Keep in
mind 1-button, 2-button, 3-button, and (my favorite) 5-button mice.  In
particular, all important actions need to be possible with just a
1-button mouse (with appropriate keyboard operators).  Of course, a
single action may have multiple mouse bindings - and it's also possible
(I guess) to have a keyboard binding that performs an operation with the
current mouse location.

Although some GUIs are designed with certain mice in mind (presumably
the Win32 client is geared toward 2-button mice, and the GTK client
toward 3-button mice), in principle any mouse can be used with any
client (I use a 5-button mouse in win32, and you can use the GTK client
on a 1-button macintosh system).  This is another reason why a single,
well-thought-out system would be a good thing.

jason