Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3489) Patch to add new generator

To: jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3489) Patch to add new generator
From: "Karen Yeats" <kayeats@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 18:35:39 -0700

[jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Wed Apr  2 03:37:56 2003]:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 09:07:23AM -0800, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> > I am
> > not sure how many people will ever use such generator.
>
> I am not sure about the patch in its current form either.  I
> personally
> think that it will probably get a fair amount of use simply because it
> is
> quite different from any existing generators.  As for a patch with
> all the players on one big land mass, see PR#2103.  It has a similar
> goal, but a different implementation than mine.

And someone spontaneously said they liked it above which is a very good
sign.  I must admit however that my tastes don't run to this patch as it
currently stands; it does feel much too artificial to me.

> I think that something like my patch should go into the main
> distribution.
> Right now, all the generators basically are generate a bunch of
> islands
> and put some players on each island.  I personally think that freeciv
> needs some kind of create a bunch of connected peninsulas and stick
> the players on the peninsulas generator.

You might consider trying making a generator which works by running a
"snake" randomly around and at random (but forceably not too close
together) puts off a peninsular spur.  Peninsulas which didn't intersect
with anything already there could have a starting position put on them
and other peninsulas could be left for variety (without starting
positions) or could be removed.  A few smaller snakes without starting
positions could be placed independantly so as to have some other
islands.  Something like this might satisfy your needs without being too
artificial.