Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3798) Change canvas_to_map_pos() from void to bool

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3798) Change canvas_to_map_pos() from void to bool
From: "a-l@xxxxxxx" <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 06:48:31 -0800

> Now, the longstanding question: what should normalize_map_pos do in the
> unreal case?  Obviously they return FALSE, but what should happen to the
> coordinates?  There are three choices:
>
> 1.  They are left unchanged.
> 2.  They are wrapped - so they will be "canonical" but not "real".
> 3.  They are made normal using nearest_real_pos.

For the purpose of drawing a truly rectangular, topology independent
selection rectangle with a visible part that extends into unreal
tiles; #1 and #2 are fine. Only #3 (the old way) would require
writing a special version of canvas_to_map_pos().

> For testing, you should compile with debugging enabled (--enable-debug).
> This enables CHECK_MAP_POS, which will catch some mistakes (real and
> imagined).

This always gives me "treating warnings as errors" and refusing to
compile because of control reaching end of some non-void function or
another. Is that a problem with my compiler flags setup?

Arnstein