Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3594) viking.ruleset

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3594) viking.ruleset
From: "andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 00:45:53 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

>On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>>What do you think about these changes? (attached):
>>

>I think I agree now with Arnstein, that this hybrid solution isn't very
>good.  We should split Norwegian and Viking nations.

What do you think about this draft for the splitting?

The norwegian.ruleset is the viking.ruleset I attached earlier, now with
norwegian
rulers, while the viking nation contains viking-era rulers and cities only.
The cities are from Island, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Orkneyislands.
They are taken from Snorre's sagas, so they shouldn't be copyrighted, right?

Rulers "borrowed" from danish ruleset:
"Gorm den Gamle"
"Harald Blåtand"
"Knud den Store"
 From swedish I took the town "Birka"

More should probably be moved over from the Swedish and Danish
ruleset, but I'm not sure about what.

(This thread should continue on freeciv-data, however, I'm unable to
suscribe,
since complete.org's management-page doesn't work right now)

Andreas R.

[nation_viking]

name=_("Viking")
plural=_("?plural:Vikings")
class=_("Historical")
legend=_("The Vikings raided and traded along the coasts of Europe \
between 800AD and 1100AD. Viking raids eventually became the rulers of \
Normandy, Russia, and a short-lived kingdom in Sicily.")
leader="Margrete I",
       "Gorm den Gamle",
       "Harald Blåtand",
       "Knud den Store",
       "Harald Hårfagre",
       "Erik Blodøks",
       "Rurik",
       "Olav Haraldsson",
       "Sigurd Jorsalfare",
       "Hrolf Gangr",
       "Aud Ivarsdottir",
       "Magnus Lagabøter",
       "Olav Trygvasson"
leader_sex="Female",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Female",
           "Male",
           "Male"
flag="f.norway"
flag_alt = "f.denmark"  ; Now used by Danish
city_style = "European"
ruler_titles = { "government",      "male_title",      "female_title"
                "Monarchy",        _("King"), _("Queen")
                }

attack=2
expand=2
civilized=1
advisors=100,100,100,100,100,100,100
init_techs=""

tech_goals = "Monarchy", "The Wheel", "Iron Working", "Construction",
             "Railroad"
wonder="Magellan's Expedition"
government="Monarchy"

; viking cities from 1000AD to about 1400AD.

cities =
 "Kaupang",
 "Birka",
 "Christiania",
 "Nidaros",
 "Reykjavik",
 "Bjørgvin",
 "Jorvik",
 "Fjaler",
 "Miklagard",
 "Vikarskeid",
 "Hvitaby",
 "Torsberg",
 "Bålagardsida",
 "Odinsøy",
 "Trasvik",
 "Steinvågen",
 "Folland",
 "Medalhus",
 "Vendelskage",
 "Vigra",
 "Haugseid",
 "Sudatorp",
 "Omd",
 "Fyrileiv",
 "Håstein",
 "Kjarrekstader",
 "Gresvik",
 "Valsnes",
 "Lusbrei",
 "Åros",
 "Rossanes",
 "Kantaraborg",
 "Holmgard",
 "Lejre",
 "Kongssund",
 "Anger",
 "Gaular",
 "Vardynjar",
 "Biskopshamn",
 "Dimun",
 "Dingenes",
 "Brekke",
 "Florvåg",
 "Bøle",
 "Jungufurda"

[nation_norwegian]

name=_("Norwegian")
plural=_("?plural:Norwegian")
class=_("Modern")
legend=_("After centuries of Danish rule, the Norwegians made their \
own constitution in Eidsvoll, 1814AD. Finally, in 1905AD the Norwegians \
got their independence after a union with Sweden.")
leader="Johan Nygaardsvold",
       "Einar Gerhardsen",
       "Trygve Bratteli",
       "Odvar Nordli",
       "Gro Harlem Brundtland",
       "Kåre Willoch",
       "Jan P. Syse",
       "Torbjørn Jagland",
       "Kjell Magne Bondevik",
       "Jens Stoltenberg"
leader_sex="Male",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Female",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Male",
           "Male"
flag="f.norway"
flag_alt = "f.denmark"  ; Now used by Danish
city_style = "European"
ruler_titles = { "government",      "male_title",      "female_title"
                 "Democracy",       _("Prime Minister"), _("Prime Minister")
               }

attack=2
expand=2
civilized=2
advisors=100,100,100,100,100,100,100
init_techs=""

tech_goals = "The Republic", "The Wheel", "Iron Working", "Construction",
             "Railroad"
wonder="Magellan's Expedition"
government="Republic"

;Norwegian (and Icelandic) names.
;Norwegian places listed up in the order it struck my mind.
;Thorshavn and Hedeby (Haithabu) were Viking cities in the premodern period.

cities =
 "Oslo (grassland, ocean, !mountains)",
 "Bergen (ocean, grassland, !river)",
 "Stavanger (ocean, plains, !river)",
 "Trondheim (river, grassland, ocean)",
 "Narvik (ocean)",
 "Tromsø (ocean)",
 "Harstad (ocean)",
 "Fagernes (ocean)",
 "Tønsberg (grassland)",
 "Kirkenes (tundra, ocean)",
 "Hamar (river)",
 "Fredrikstad (hills)",
 "Kristansand (ocean)",
 "Kristiansund (ocean)",
 "Molde (ocean)",
 "Ålesund (ocean)",
 "Drammen (grassland)",
 "Sandnes (desert)",
 "Arendal (plains)",
 "Vardø (tundra)",
 "Vadsø (tundra)",
 "Haugesund (ocean)",
 "Sarpsborg (hills)",
 "Kongsberg (hills)",
 "Kongsvinger (hills)",
 "Gjøvik (river, forest)",
 "Bardufoss (river)",
 "Skjold (mountains)",
 "Setermoen (mountains)",
 "Lillehammer (river)",
 "Lillestrøm (river)",
 "Strømmen (river)",
 "Halden (hills)",
 "Oppdal (mountains)",
 "Rjukan (mountains)",
 "Karmøy (ocean)",
 "Kragerø (ocean)",
 "Fauske (plains)",
 "Bodø (hills, ocean)",
 "Andenes (tundra, ocean)",
 "Stokkmarknes (ocean)",
 "Svolvær (plains)",
 "Sortland (plains)",
 "Moss (ocean, grassland)",
 "Honningsvåg (ocean)",
 "Hammerfest (ocean, hills)",
 "Ås (hills)",
 "Os (hills)",
 "Tynset (grassland)",
 "Longyearbyen (ocean)",
 "Mandal (plains)"

; Eg skal ikkje gløyme kvelden, det var ein augustikveld,
; Vårherre heldt fest for folket i Fjaler prestegjeld,
;  - Bergens stift, som det heitte, - Ytre Sunnfjord provsti.
; Gud unne oss alle nåden når timen vår er forbi.
;
; Jakob Sande 1954
; added to Freeciv by Gaute Strokkenes RCNUWC 96-98
; for sentimental reasons.