Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3612) Legend bug

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx, kersten@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3612) Legend bug
From: "Ben Webb" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 03:15:50 -0800

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 05:41:48PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
> [guest - Tue Mar  4 14:35:36 2003]:
> > When using the nation select dialog, the legend remains untranslated.
> > When adding a _() around dialogs.c:2418 gets things translated, but
> > then
> > nations without a legend generate the header of the xx.po file. Not a
> > nice sight IMO.
> Indeed, and this affects my first patch also.  Why does this happen?

This happens because _("") gives you the po file header. Just put a test
in for the legend being blank, and only call _() if it isn't...

> Is it because the legend string isn't in the potfile at all?  If so,
> this could be a serious problem for many strings!

No, this will only happen when the original untranslated string is
blank. If the potfile doesn't contain any translation for it, _() will
just return the original string unmodified.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"The Right Hon was a tubby little chap who looked as if he had been