[Freeciv-Dev] Re: savegame question

To: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: savegame question
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:27:59 +0100

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 01:08:15PM +0000, Horn Gábor wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm interested in examining savegame functions of freeciv. The currrent
> gamelog (and the animation/graphs created from it) isn't bad, but i
> think we could make more informative description of a game w/ more info.

> So first i'd like to ask where i can find the detailed description
> of format of savegame files?

I'm sorry but the answer is: in the code.

> I'm not sure yet if what i think of can be done by processing
> multiple savegames (eg 1 for each turn) or needs modification to the
> savegame format.

Since the savegames hold all state it should be possible to solve this
with the savegames only. However this may not be the best format for
this.

> This year i have to make my final dissertation on the university,
> and i think this topic might be interesting (for us, and i'll try to
> convience the teachers that it's a very important question in
> today's IT world too hehe :) In some words what i'd like to make:
> some more dinamic and informative 'playback' of games, like php
> generated flash movies, where u can see the movement of troops in
> expansion and invasion, the capitals and their movements, maybe
> wonders, allies etc. And anything else that can be useful to
> understand what happened in a current game, what was the weak point
> of strategie, etc.

Besides animations you required IMHO also some plain statistics. So
that you can say "player A got 10% more food at the first 20 turns
than player B and so expanded faster and so crushed B 132 turns
latter".

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  This customer comes into the computer store. "I'm looking for a mystery