[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2864) Islands from server-point-of-view (SPOV)

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2864) Islands from server-point-of-view (SPOV)
From: "Raimar Falke via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 02:06:13 -0800

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 08:29:48AM -0800, Mike Kaufman via RT wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 07:39:57AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen via RT wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Mike Kaufman via RT wrote:
> > > here's version 2.
> > > please review.
> >
> > Looks fine, autogames are fine...
> >
> > ...and I know you'll hate me for asking, but...
> >
> > ...it would be really nice if we did this for oceans too while we were at
> > it. The AI really needs to know which ocean tiles are continuous with
> > which others (without doing super-expensive path-finding on it). That way
> > it won't build destroyers in small ponds, for example.
>
> I've already discussed this. Raimar and somebody else (Davide?) poopooed the
> idea.

I have no problems with this idea. I had problems that you changed the
signess of the type. I think that the best solution would be an union.

> In any case, this is a mapgen issue first and an island issue second.

I don't see why this is a mapgen issue.

> And while the mapgen people are at it, we should eliminate the polar
> regions are continents 0 and 1 restriction.

This is an independent issue.

> So, this is a tangential issue. Looking at the client code, I don't
> believe that a change of this sort will require changes in the
> network, (non-enabled clients will ignore the extra ocean info) so
> this can be considered post-commit.

I agree.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Living on earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip