[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion: myth about freeciv

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion: myth about freeciv
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 09:17:05 -0500

Jason Dorje Short (vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> IMO the current 'myth' text is quite uninspiring, and doc/PEOPLE is even
> worse.  So we need someone to write something exciting :-).

Ooh, someone's talking about something we mortals can understand --
something other than graphics! :)

The current myth seems to have very little to do with the actual
game.  It's a bit of Norse/Danish mythology, or legend.  If we
want something closer to the game's premise, then how about this:

  In the dawn of history, savage tribes of men roamed the earth.
  Cruelty and chaos ruled the day.  No law or custom guided the
  minds of these primitives.  They lived like the animals.

  But then one day, a great leader stepped forward.  The tribes
  were forged into a mighty nation.  No longer living hand to
  mouth, the people now had time to dream... to explore, to build,
  to learn...  or to conquer.

  You are the leader.  The nation is yours.  What will be your dream?

(The sentences are intentionally short and simple, because when
you're scrolling text on a screen, you don't get a chance to see
very many words at once.  I had to use the passive voice in one
place in the second paragraph to avoid labelling "the leader" with
a gender pronoun, but apart from that, I've followed the "E Prime"
doctrine, for those who know what that is.  I also avoided using
the word "discover" (replacing it with "learn") because Explore/Build/
Discover/Conquest are the SMAC research categories.)

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |