Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: city text , sdl widgets and rock & roll ( was Re: (PR#

To: bursig@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: city text , sdl widgets and rock & roll ( was Re: (PR#2858) )
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:31:29 -0800

Rafa³ Bursig via RT wrote:

> I propose :
> 1) main screen/display buffer. 2) map buffer - terrain, cities , units
> are draw here.
>
>    update_map_canvas(..., TRUE) - will redraw 2) and draw it to 1)
>    update_city_descriptions( FALSE ) - will draw city text /widgets to
> 1)
>    flush_screen() - call gtk_flush() ( copy 1) to framebuffer )

Or, to put things in a more negative way...

What is the point of flushing a secondary buffer into the primary buffer
if we're not going to flush to the screen?  Why not just wait to do it?

Certainly the GTK clients do such a flush - although they don't call
gdk_flush, the flush is implicit since it takes place shortly
afterwards.  The only time this makes a difference is when animation is
done - and the animation will call gdk_flush.

jason