Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Single-player Freeciv notices

To: Stepan Roh <stepan@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Single-player Freeciv notices
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 16:02:56 +0100

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:16:49PM +0100, Stepan Roh wrote:
> - isometric navigation is not very intuitive (clicking on the right of
> screen center will move actual rectangle on mini-map towards northeast and
> not east, and vice versa) - civ2's style is better
> - mini-images on left panel (like global warming indicator etc. - game
> state indicators according to client manual) needs tooltips else they are
> not very useful
> - there should be easy way to see help for built city improvements, active
> units, units in the city, terrain in the city map etc.
> - minimap in the city window with highlighted city position could be
> useful

These are ok.

> - the space for units in city window is wasted (there can be more units
> visible)

I don't understand.

> - deleting units from worklist is very unintuitive (double-clicking) -
> drag&drop or classic <-, -> buttons may be improvement

It was done this way since also MOO2 did it this way (and maybe other
games too). And recognizing drag-n-drop is a bit more difficult than a
double-click. Or is this a non-issue Vasco?

> - supported units should have indication of current location
> (coordinates and city name or "near <city name>", just like in civ2)

Yes.

> - visible map coordinates in middle-click info

See other comments.

> - cities (F1) window should not be reset to default if closed and then
> opened and already opened window should be moved to top if F1 is pressed

*shrug*

> - it should be possible to sort cities according to production
> (numerically) and not only according to text in column "Surplus F/P/T"

As noted it was added recently. But it won't help for the composite
"Surplus F/P/T" column. Various solution for this column has been
proposed but none was really good.

> - waypoints for Go to and Patrol commands (it is very annoying if
> patrolling ship goes near the enemy coastline where it is interrupted each
> turn)

Available but well hidden ;)

> - full demographics (not just first one in each row)
> - ability to mark map spots with my own signs

> - colorized messages (color based on message importance)

I agree.

> - it is very annoying that Coinage blocks city from automatic
> deciding what to build next (it should be automatically changed to
> some city improvement if AI decides it with possibility to turn it
> off on per-city basis)

CTP2's model: if you finished something and didn't put another item in
the worklist the city produced _nothing_. You had to explicitly
activate a Governor/Major. But this Governor didn't remove items from
the worklist and if you had put Coinage on the worklist the city will
produce Coinage till the end of days.

If we add this AI-choose-something-better-than-Coinage how does a
player tell the AI that he really want the money?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Two OS engineers facing a petri net chart: