Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2741) Removing explicit mentioning of T_OCEAN

To: cameron@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2741) Removing explicit mentioning of T_OCEAN
From: "Guest via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 06:53:05 -0800

[jdorje - Tue Jan  7 07:36:58 2003]:

> What is the purpose of this change?

If we are ever going to really make it possible for people to use the
terrain specification in the ruleset then we can't mention specific
terrain types in the code.  There is no reason that one couldn't have
different types of ocean with different resources, different specials,
and different effects on ships (certainly the real world has this).
Really we need a flag in the ruleset to say whether a terrain type is a
sort of ocean or not, but it will be much quicker to fix that after
Cameron's patch than before.

Karen