[Freeciv-Dev] Re: monochromatic Freeciv (was: (PR#2455) dead functions i

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: monochromatic Freeciv (was: (PR#2455) dead functions in GUI interface)
From: "Cameron Morland via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 05:34:37 -0800

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 11:12:45AM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 06:11:47PM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> >
> > [rfalke - Wed Dec 18 13:38:01 2002]:

> > > What is the status here? Do we support greyscale and/or
> > > black-and-white displays? There is a message in the xaw client "only
> > > color displays supported" but no exit.
> >
> > Hard to tell, since nobody seems to have such a display to test it on.
>
> We can try the Xmono server I suppose.
>
> There is a b&w tileset - does anyone manage to actually play with it?
> (I've cc:ed Cameron@xxxxxxxxxx because we exchanged some e-mail about it.)

I personally use two 256 colour displays with the Xsun server. Mono works
correctly with this setup with the CVS version of Freeciv, though I
understand there has been some trouble for others (any success there?).
Before I sent the tileset to Freeciv I tested it on a real B&W Xterm
manufactured by NCD. There used to be hundreds of these things on campus,
but I don't know how many remain. I may also have been using the Xaw
client at the time, I can't recall. The game was quite playable on the
B&W display.

So in summary, at one point the client was entirely usable on a 1bbp
display. I don't know the current status, I think trying the mono-VGA
server would be the easiest solution as you mentioned.

--