[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2587) class and legend data patch -- oops, with pa

To: esr@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2587) class and legend data patch -- oops, with patch this time!
From: "Miguel Farah via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:38:16 -0800

 esr@xxxxxxxxxxx via RT [16/12/2002 22:30] dijo/said:
>Miguel Farah via RT <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>[...]
>> I should have provided proper english translations here.
>>
>> The region(/country/...)'s name is:
>>
>> Catalunya (in catalan)
>> Catalu�a  (in spanish)
>> Catalonia (in english)
>>
>> So the legend should read "Catalunya (aka Catalonia) is the [...]". Or
>> better yet: "Catalonia (Catalunya in its native language) is the [...]".
>
>Friendly amendment accepted.  In fact "Catalan" is a word in English, but it
>is rarely (almost never) used as a noun.

Really? I didn't know that.

>> >+; This city list does not actually correspond to medieval Catalonia,
>> >+; but rather to the "Catalon dos Pasos" of modern ethnolinguistic
>> >+; nationalists.
>>
>> "Catalon dos Pasos" is a wrong translation of "Pa�sos Catalans".
>> The actual name (in english) is "Catalan Countries".
>
>I misremembered what you toild me by email.

My fault, for not being clear enough. I'm too used to discuss this kind
of things with spanish-speaking people, where spanish/catalan
translations are usually pretty much automatic and explicit ones aren't
really needed.

>[...]
>> >--- chilean.ruleset 2002/12/13 18:22:04     1.1
>> >+++ chilean.ruleset 2002/12/14 16:34:37
>> >[...]
>> >   "Calama", "Arica", "Constituci?n", "Cha?aral", "Cauquenes",
>> >-  "Puente alto (river, hills)", "Talagante", "Melipilla", "Peumo",
>> >+  "Puente Alto (river, hills)", "Talagante", "Melipilla", "Peumo",
>>
>> That's "Puente alto", not "Puente Alto" (I should know, I did the city
>> list on this ruleset).
>
>I thought I was correcting a typo.  Spanish usage does not capitalize "alto"
>as a part of placenames?  I thought it did, and I used to speak Spanish.
>But perhaps Venezuelan practice is different from Chilean.

*Proper* spanish usage does not capitalize "alto" ("puente alto" means
"high bridge", so if you convert it into a name, only the 'P' should be
capitalized). However... latin american usage, influenced by english
language, does capitalize the 'a'.

Oh well... we spaniards tend to be spanish language zealots (don't let
me ever get started on the 'ñ' letter).

>Do you want to submuit a correction patch for these, or shall I?

It's your patch. I'll leave the glory to you. :->