[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2521) general effects framework

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2521) general effects framework
From: "Mike Kaufman via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:36:32 -0800

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 11:29:24AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen via RT wrote:
> In fact, as I've alluded to previously, I have a working patch that
> measures building effects exactly (instead of WAG guessing what they would
> do like now) by adding, comparing and removing them. I use eff_range to
> avoid recomputations of the world we don't change, but apparently I can't
> do that for update_all_effects(). If update_all_effects() can be dropped
> buildings that don't need it, much speed increase would be gained.

yes, Ben's idea of a safe-list is really good, and I think it'll work well
for the default ruleset (which is what is most important after all). I also
agree with him that it's a waste of time to do it now before actually
starting to implement anything.

> Patch autogame:
> real    0m44.189s
> user    0m42.290s
> sys     0m0.870s

I'm curious as to why the auto_arrange_workers has anything to do with
general effects? Or is this simply another aspect of your patch?

> Also, worst case, we may go back to meta-evaluation of building effects.
> Andi Payn has already written code for that for most of gen impr, IIRC.
> But I doubt that will be necessary.

yes, this was my main point to Raimar. It's goin' in. AI speed be damned ;)

-mike