[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2329) Portattacks 7

To: raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2329) Portattacks 7
From: "Per I. Mathisen via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 05:20:11 -0800

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > Killstack is what we have now. What I'm suggesting is that killstack only
> > works within one layer (air, ground, or sea) at a time.
>
> No we don't. Your portattacks had killstack implemented. My portattacks no
> longer has killstack. All units die outside of a city/fortress square if the
> defender dies.

The effect "killing all units when one die" is what I mean by "killstack".

> > The so-called "killstack" patch has nothing to do with this. The patch
> > already contains killstack code changes. Those changes aren't really sane,
> > since it uses get_defender() to iteratively kill all eligible defenders.
>
> Hmm? I thought portattacks 7.2 did no such thing? Did I screw up?

No, I was reading my own version of the patch... Duh.

> OK. So basically all attacking units have a layer effect. They belong to a
> layer, Air Sea Land, and when attacking a stack destroy first units of the
> same
> layer as themselves.

Yes.

> So a Fighter unit with F_SNEAKATTACK will always have a defender chosen first
> from air units or anti air units like Aegis. If that defender is defeated, all
> units of the same move_type in the stack die!

Yes (except we don't use move_type, just layers, and helicopter movement
is counted as air layer).

> 1st patch: Introduce killstack and layer effect killing.
>
> Hmm. Subs will still be special cased, because under no circumstances can we
> allow them to kill land/airunits.

F_NO_LAND_ATTACK should still fix that. Also there should be a global game
option "layered_combat" in game.ruleset to turn this on for default
ruleset (but not civ1/2 rulesets).

Then 2nd patch: F_SNEAKATTACK, adding the sub exception.

Will you do these, Raahul?

  - Per

(As long as we only have these three layers, it is pretty easy to know
where units belong by looking at move_type. But Raimar wanted to put subs
in a submerged layer, IIRC. In that case we would need a new field in the
units ruleset for layers. But that should be in a third patch.)