[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2329) Portattacks 7

To: raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2329) Portattacks 7
From: "Thomas Strub via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:52:36 -0800

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 05:23:28PM -0800, Raahul Kumar via RT wrote:

> --- Thomas Strub via RT <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 08:29:26PM -0800, Raahul Kumar via RT wrote:
> <snip>
> > > Fighters also gain the ability to attack air units in a city. No longer is
> > it possible to count on the defending mech infantry to protect your bombers
> > from assault.
> > >
> > > Per, do you think we should allow fighters to attack any unit in the city
> > > instead of just air units? AFAIK, fighters can attack all units, not just
> > air units. Air units should be picked first for defenders, but after any
> other
> > unit should also be considered.
> >
> > I don't like that part. It has allways been a part of civ that the unit
> > with the biggest defense will be used for defending. What is with a
> > stack of units? Using the fighter? No!
>
> Ah. Let us visualise the situation. A fighter squadron attacks the
> city(London)
> or a stack of units. Can the riflemen on the ground possibly stop the fighters
> from attacking and destroying air units? No. It makes obvious sense that air
> units/AA units are picked first as defenders against air attack.
>
> The same logic as holds in the sub situation(that being in a port should not
> protect against sub attack, in fact it makes you an easy target) applies here.
>
> > What would happen with a mobile Air-defense? First the Air-Defense or
> > the air-unit? If you want to kill the bombers do it when they are in the
> > air.
>
> Currently Freeciv lacks AA units(Aegis?). I will add a flag Anti Air, that
> makes the selection of defenders between all air and anti air units first.
> Thanks for that comment. I totally forgot about Anti air units.
>
> I refer you to WWII and the Germans and the Japanese. They destroyed many
> airforces on the ground. Aka Pearl Harbour, Poland, etc etc. Hell, the Gulf
> War
> is a great example of Iraqi planes being destroyed on the ground by air
> attack.

The examples are all some where the defender wasn't aware of the danger.
You forgot the six-day-war.

But what was in longer wars?
Afghanistan? WWII? Vietnam? Korea?

> They used fighters/bombers to destroy those planes. A plane does not need to
> be
> in the air to be shot down.

Make it as a seperate patch. It are 2 different things. One where all
people say its a good idea and one, which is a really big change in
freeciv.
Whats with guerillas? Shouldn't they be used before a fighter which is
nearly down in HP's?

Why should a bomber attack a military unit? Why not destroying the
factory? Or laying the city into ashes like Dresden in WWII?

Thomas