[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2329) Portattacks 7

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2329) Portattacks 7
From: "Raahul Kumar via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:23:28 -0800

--- Thomas Strub via RT <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 08:29:26PM -0800, Raahul Kumar via RT wrote:
<snip>
> > Fighters also gain the ability to attack air units in a city. No longer is
> it possible to count on the defending mech infantry to protect your bombers
> from assault.
> >
> > Per, do you think we should allow fighters to attack any unit in the city
> > instead of just air units? AFAIK, fighters can attack all units, not just
> air units. Air units should be picked first for defenders, but after any
other
> unit should also be considered.
>
> I don't like that part. It has allways been a part of civ that the unit
> with the biggest defense will be used for defending. What is with a
> stack of units? Using the fighter? No!

Ah. Let us visualise the situation. A fighter squadron attacks the city(London)
or a stack of units. Can the riflemen on the ground possibly stop the fighters
from attacking and destroying air units? No. It makes obvious sense that air
units/AA units are picked first as defenders against air attack.

The same logic as holds in the sub situation(that being in a port should not
protect against sub attack, in fact it makes you an easy target) applies here.

> What would happen with a mobile Air-defense? First the Air-Defense or
> the air-unit? If you want to kill the bombers do it when they are in the
> air.

Currently Freeciv lacks AA units(Aegis?). I will add a flag Anti Air, that
makes the selection of defenders between all air and anti air units first.
Thanks for that comment. I totally forgot about Anti air units.

I refer you to WWII and the Germans and the Japanese. They destroyed many
airforces on the ground. Aka Pearl Harbour, Poland, etc etc. Hell, the Gulf War
is a great example of Iraqi planes being destroyed on the ground by air attack.

They used fighters/bombers to destroy those planes. A plane does not need to be
in the air to be shot down.

> Thomas

Aloha,
RK.

Before a war military science seems a real science, like astronomy; but after a
war it seems more like astrology. -Rebecca West