[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved Auto-Explore

To: Juha Litola <slave@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved Auto-Explore
From: Cameron Morland <cjmorlan_freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:40:26 -0500

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 03:32:08PM +0200, Juha Litola wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 11:25:51AM +0000, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > Before I read the patch, I'd like to hear more comments from the gamers.
> > 1. Do you think this behaviour is good?
> > 2. Should the old one be ditched in favour of it?
> > 3. Or should they both be available through some sort of choice dialog?
> Old version can be ditched if using multiple explorers leads to 2
> units moving along coast line to different directions and others
> exploring inland. If they all just follow coastline, it isn't good
> enough.

In a bit more detail, the explorer tries to explore tiles which appear to be
water. If given a choice between exploring land or not uncovering any new
tiles, it will explore the land. (And boats do the opposite, ie they seek
land.) So any number of explorers coming from a single point will all take
different routes.