[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2316) Reduce bandwith take 3

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2316) Reduce bandwith take 3
From: "Per I. Mathisen via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:10:59 -0800

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:
> Final overview:

Ok, so discarding packets does yield a good deal of network savings, after
all.

> Share of the chat messages at the total traffic:
>
> 2:     24   1675       69 PACKET_CHAT_MSG(13)

In other words, if we (finally, IMHO) went for a binary protocol for these
messages, as we have discussed repeatedly over the years, we could shave
another big chunk off the network traffic. And also get rid of the related
i18n problems. I also think that it is the right thing to do from a design
viewpoint - creating a user-readable response from an event is the
responsibility of the client.

  - Per