Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: coding standard patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: coding standard patch
From: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 07:07:03 -0500

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:

I agree with you that tabs are bad, BUT indent uses tabs. Only
new(est) version of GNU-indent has an option to use spaces instead.

All distributions should carry a sufficiently new version - this feature has been around as long as I've been using indent.

If you really want to have them gone I have no problem doing a s/\t/     /
over the tree in regular intervalls.

This has the side-effect of genereting completely unnecessary patch
conflicts, so I'm against that. At least as long as we still have huge
patches waiting to go in. I would much rather have a ban against
introducing new tabs in the source code, and then eventually the number of
tabs in the code will slide towards zero as parts of the code gets
rewritten and patched.

From "man patch":

       -l  or  --ignore-whitespace
          Match  patterns  loosely,  in  case  tabs or
          spaces have been munged in your files.   Any
          sequence  of one or more blanks in the patch
          file matches any sequence  in  the  original
          file, and sequences of blanks at the ends of
          lines are ignored.  Normal  characters  must
          still  match exactly.  Each line of the con-
          text must still match a line in the original
          file.

jason