Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: coding standard patch

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: coding standard patch
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:04:27 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Reinier Post wrote:
> > To carry things a little farther, emacs and indent will automatically
> > indent using tabs (or automatically strip tabs).But under the system

Only now do I notice that Raimar did not include my ban against tabs in
his patch.

I'm against tabs. They can be nice if used properly, but I find that to be
mostly a theoretical perspective, since most of the time they just screw
things up. Like viewing the source code in a browser - too many tabs and
you need a 21" in 1600x1400 to see any of it, or (heavens forbid) scroll
to the right. There is also always someone who doesn't use the correct tab
size, and tabs also screw up indentation when reading diffs (the new
indentation looks wrong).

Yours
Per

"I don't see why people are so upset about cloning sheep. American
television networks have been doing that to their audiences for years."
-- Jello Biafra