Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: 'bug' in mapgen.c (missing forests)

To: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: 'bug' in mapgen.c (missing forests)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:04:07 -0400

At 06:50 PM 02/09/22 +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 12:19:05PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
>>
>> I don't much use CVS mapgen.c and consider it outdated and brain-damaged
>> when is it slated to be replaced :-?.
>
>As a side note, I _hate_ the kind of terrain that generator 2 and 3 produce.
>I'd prefer it more like 1 and 4.

The small equal islands flavour is what they do. Use 1, 4, 5 if you
don't want this type of land distribution.

The bucket mechanism for distributing basic terrain is common to
generators 2-4. There are some minor fixes to reduce totally random
mixing in the corecleanups, but the allocation in 1 or 5 is better
from a realism standpoint.

It is possible to use the make_<flavour> fixup routines that add
various other touches with some minor tweaks. How to do this is
shown by looking at the mapgenertor2 routine in the corecleanups.
If you generate a fake height_map, then the secondary make_<>s can
be run without too much problem.

>Christian
>
>--
>Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/
>* * * * * * * * *  Ceterum censeo Microsoft esse dividendum.

Cheers,
RossW
=====