Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: 'bug' in mapgen.c (missing forests)

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: 'bug' in mapgen.c (missing forests)
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:21:50 +0200

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 04:04:07PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> At 06:50 PM 02/09/22 +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> >On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 12:19:05PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't much use CVS mapgen.c and consider it outdated and brain-damaged
> >> when is it slated to be replaced :-?.
> >
> >As a side note, I _hate_ the kind of terrain that generator 2 and 3 produce.
> >I'd prefer it more like 1 and 4.
>
> The small equal islands flavour is what they do. Use 1, 4, 5 if you
> don't want this type of land distribution.

I mean terrain distribution, not land distribution, of course.

> The bucket mechanism for distributing basic terrain is common to
> generators 2-4. There are some minor fixes to reduce totally random
> mixing in the corecleanups, but the allocation in 1 or 5 is better
> from a realism standpoint.

Yees, 1 is preffered (not tested 5), but I'm thinking even 4 is (slightly)
better than 2 or 3. Random mixing disturbes most, but also to much hills,
mountains. Should we change the defaults? But then, other generators are
affected.

Nice to hear that this is getting better with corecleanups. When will
we have this?

> It is possible to use the make_<flavour> fixup routines that add
> various other touches with some minor tweaks. How to do this is
> shown by looking at the mapgenertor2 routine in the corecleanups.
> If you generate a fake height_map, then the secondary make_<>s can
> be run without too much problem.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/