Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 1) (PR#1911)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 1) (PR#1911)
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 20:57:30 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 01:30:46PM -0500, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 07:35:10PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 11:45:45PM -0700, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> >
> > > new server command line option
> > >  o you can now set the access level of the first connection.
> >
> > I wonder if this shouldn't be restricted. Cmdlevel hack only
> > accessible if client is local (on the same machine)?
>
> this is pointless since if you're starting the server, the console has
> hack level access anyway.

1. player starts civclient
2. player clicks "next"
3. civclient starts civserver
4. remote hacker connects to civserver and gets cmdlevel hack
5. civclient connects to civserver

> > - first a problem which arised with the latest cvs bugs. When the server
> >   crashes, you never know what's happening, no output, no log. There
> >   should be a way to pass a server log option to civserver.
>
> this definitely is a problem. A solution would be to comment out:
>
> fclose(stdout);
> fclose(stderr);
>
> in connectdlg_common.c:117
>
> this will spam the terminal you launched your client from with server
> messages.

That won't hurt.

> > - There often remain stale civserver processes, e.g. if you click
> >   "previous".
>
> all of these should die after ultimate quit. do they?

eventually, yes. Until then the occupy mem and ports. You can even
connect to an older civserver and play. Very confusing.

> > - The AI level option is i18n'd, which doesn't work since civserver
> >   doesn't understand "schwer" or "leicht".
>
> this is fixable.
>

> > - It's very easy to cheat, just take a dead barbar, and you'll see the
> >   whole map.
>
> hey, you've got the savegame on your own machine. it's just as easy to
> load it into civworld and peek. what we might need is a ternary
> differentiator: human/ai/barbarian
>
> > - Terminal is corrupted after exit.
>
> damn it, when? I thought that I'd fixed all of those cases. This is
> probably related to an already submitted bug with the atexit() proposed
> fix. Does it always corrupt? For me, it usually only corrupts on a
> server crash...

I'll try to reproduce.

> > I feel this patch is a good step to CSI. The next step would be
> > a comfortable GUI for option selecting.
>
> I really don't like this idea. It's a massive amount of code for very
> little discernible benefit.

Well, I thought that's what this is all about. To have a game
usable not only for command line linux freaks but for fun gamers?

I wonder if I can hack some GUI for that.

> -mike

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/