Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 1) (PR#1911)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 1) (PR#1911)
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:35:10 +0200

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 11:45:45PM -0700, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> I need testers in a big way.

I only tried Gtk+ 1.2

I like it, it works really stable and reasonable.

And now the back side ...

> Specific code additions (outside the gui):
>
> improved game loading with server started
>  o the server won't just quit anymore when a bogus savegame is loaded.
>  o the attributes bug isn't fixed yet :(

Don't know what that is.

> new server command line option
>  o you can now set the access level of the first connection.

I wonder if this shouldn't be restricted. Cmdlevel hack only
accessible if client is local (on the same machine)?

>  o this is needed to give 'hack' to the player without stdout parsing
>    madness.

Very good.

> new packet that sends various player info to the client on request.
>   o only sends name, username, nation, is_alive, and, ai.control
>   o need to have hack to have server pay attention to your request

Why?

>   o needed to be able to select players out of a savegame.
>
> new server command: rename
>   o was not implemented.
>   o now renames the _username_ of a connection.
>   o should go away again when auth is implemented.
>   o needed to select players out of a savegame.
>
> add some data for the chatline help
>   o explain sending commands with chatline.
>

> BUGS:
>   generally: the attributes thing (which is not really a connectdlg bug)
>   GTK: none that I'm aware of.

Well ...

- first a problem which arised with the latest cvs bugs. When the server
  crashes, you never know what's happening, no output, no log. There
  should be a way to pass a server log option to civserver.

- There often remain stale civserver processes, e.g. if you click
  "previous".

- The AI level option is i18n'd, which doesn't work since civserver
  doesn't understand "schwer" or "leicht".

- It's very easy to cheat, just take a dead barbar, and you'll see the
  whole map.

- probably a typo in server/civserver.c:113

      else if (strcasecmp(option, "info") == 0)
        srvarg.first_level = ALLOW_NONE;

- Terminal is corrupted after exit.

Now the cosmetic things:

- Rename "Start" multi-player/network game --> "Join"

- Rename "Save game..." --> "Save game as ..."

- Rename "Disconnect" and "Quit" -> "Quit game" and "Quit Freeciv" ?

- The column with "human" is too short. "menschlich" doesn't fit.

- Is it possible to have the file dialog always add an ".sav" ending
  if not present? Maybe even filter "*.sav(.gz)?" ?

>   GTK2: the dialog seems to reserve space for notebook tabs although
>         i've turned them off. Vasc, could you check my code?
>   XAW: many segfaults., corrupts the terminal on quit for no apparent
>        reason.
>
> TODO:
>   we might eventually want a client option that skips past the intro
>   page (automatically selects multiplayer option if you want it)
>
>   should check for
>     #include <netinet/in.h>
>     #include <signal.h>
>   in configure.
>
> -mike

I feel this patch is a good step to CSI. The next step would be
a comfortable GUI for option selecting.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/