Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: No info on government type (PR#1687)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: No info on government type (PR#1687)
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:28:51 -0400

Per I. Mathisen (per@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:

> > He might discover/gain the tech for a new government type.
>
> He should not be able to discover a new govt type, since anarchy should
> not give any science bulbs.  Entering anarchy then chancing that you will
> be able to steal the requried techs sounds a bit risky, and entering
> anarchy because you will diplomacy your way to this tech some turns later
> sounds a bit odd.

He could get it from a hut, too.  Or he might complete (or capture)
the Statue of Liberty (Pyramids in Civ1 rule set) during the anarchy.

The point is, someone might start a revolution with the intention of
changing to Monarchy, and might *somehow* gain the tech for Republic
during the transition.  Under PayCiv rules (*all* of them that I've
played: Civ1, Civ2 and even CivCTP), the player will get to choose
either government once the revolution is over.

(I didn't include SMAC in that list, because SMAC doesn't have
revolutions or anarchy.  If you want a new government, you just
spend some gold-- err, energy and it's yours.)

So, yes, using that as a strategy is not sane.  But it can (and will)
happen in real games -- not often, but when it *does* happen, the Civ2
player will expect to be able to choose freely.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |