Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] ./autogen.sh or ./configure (was: gettext remark)

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] ./autogen.sh or ./configure (was: gettext remark)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 15:32:28 +0200

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 11:40:23AM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:

> I just encountered that autogen.sh doesn't work anymore:
>
> + checking for msgfmt >= 0.10.38 ... found 0.10.37, not ok !
>
> I have a fairly new system, Suse 7.3 !
>
> Also, --with-included-gettext does not help me out of that.

This is well known, and documented in the INSTALL file.
But perhaps the error message could be clearer.

The included gettext doesn't suffice to run ./autogen.sh
with intl support.  In a source code distribution (rather than
a CVS checkout), ./autogen.sh has already been run, creating
./configure, so you can run ./configure instead, which doesn't
need msgfmt.

> Besides this, it compiles fine, probably because it uses
> old Makefiles. And L10n is fine, AFAICS, too!

An old ./configure will often continue to work for a while.

--
Reinier