[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bombers/Fighters no longer obsolete (PR#1628)

To: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bombers/Fighters no longer obsolete (PR#1628)
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 04:40:27 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Of course this implies that your attack power formula actually
> means something rather than being one of many heuristic formulae
> none of which describes reality in any accurate way :-).

Ross: You of all people should remember why I use this formula. It's the exact
same formula used to pick attacking units by the AI. If you can do better than
the current one, I await the patch. The AI will thank you for it :).

The formula is not exactly arbitrary. You only want to consider two equations
ever

Attack power = firepower * hp * attack
Defence power = firepower * hp * defence

Since no unit will ever attack and defend on the same turn.

Now firepower and hp are exactly equivalent. A unit with

2 firepower 10 hps is exactly as powerful as a unit with 1 firepower 20 hps.
Given that both units have the same attack and defence.

Attack and defence are not so simple, but close enough. Try to simulate by hand
the results of combat with 4 Bombers/3 Stealth bombers vs a battleship. You'll
see what I mean.

Regardless: It doesn't hurt anything to allow non stealth units to be used. I
think we can agree on that.

Aloha,
RK.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. -Rush, "Freewill"