[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client documentation

To: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client documentation
From: Jordi Negrevernis i Font <jorneg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:40:11 +0200

I looked at the first two pages of the current manual and i think we must told
the way to start a solitare game.

I suppose that is very frustrating to begin your first game and be humiliated
by a horseman.

And if we leave that command i suggest to insert 'set gen 2' to keep the enemy
far away.

<paragraph here: detailed exposition of sidebar (parts 1-6)>

The part 3 of sidebar shows the distribution of the population. It shows the amount of people that's elvis and gives luxury, the percent that's cientist and gives science output and the part of taxman that gives money to your nation. You can change it by clicking on the elvises, cientist or taxman to fulfill your needs.

You can have extended information if you click on part 4.

The timeout counter displays the amount of time left to finish the turn. You can finish that turn before if you have made all the moves that you want to, just click
the Turn Done button (or press Enter).

[Message] Output Window and Chatline

add...
Be aware that if your taking through the 'chat line' you can't control the units that are in the map. First click on the map to get the focus there and then issue
the commands.

Mike Kaufman wrote:

a month ago, I made a plea for documentation. few answered. I figured
that you all simply needed a push, so here it is:

http://www.freeciv.org/~kauf/client.html

is a first draft of the new client manual. I've taken the liberty of
putting in the new screenshots. The mission if you choose to accept it,
is to go through it, and where you see something that looks like:

<paragraph here: some subject>

you should write something and send it me and Cc the list. (so there's
no duplication of effort) The more people that respond, the faster it gets done. I've placed the paragraphs in bite-sized morsels, so each mini-project is not too big, so don't be afraid of jumping in (except for the CMA section, perhaps Christian or someone could lift the major portions from README.CMA?)

Each paragraph should be in plain text, don't bother with html. Just
tell me which file, and what <paragraph: ...> you're contributing.

also:

client-4.html: a lot of the text in the old manual is still applicable.
              Someone needs to review to see if it checks out.

client-5.html, client-6.html: I did nothing with these. Please review
              them. Someone who knows more about GTK, may want to
              improvise a GTK rc section.

If I can ever get a hold of Brandon Rhodes, he'll take over the
compilation effort. Until then, send stuff my way.

Again: a lot of the people on this list are not coders. This is your
chance to make a good contribution to freeciv.

-mike