[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] save game load errors

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] save game load errors
From: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:47:23 -0400

Raimar Falke wrote:
On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 02:31:02PM +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:

The following scenarios also fail to load into the current CVS version of the FreeCiv server:

hagworld-120x60-v1.2.sav
 -Several messages on incomplete map data
earth-160x90-v2.sav
 - Savegame too old, at least version 1.9.0 required.

As I side note I would like to propose the attached patch. It prints
more info and also aborts the loop after one errror.

This was originally considered unnecessary; if data is missing it gives a warning but if the problem is that the map is just too old the warning shouldn't be fatal.

The problem is that this same thing can happen with a corrupt map file, and since the single macro works for all map data lines it is hard (would be very ugly) to have the warning just for the lines that are recently added (and may not be present in older save files) while having a fatal error if other lines are missing.

I don't feel strongly either way. On the one hand, anyone using an old map should upgrade it. On the other, there's no real reason to stop if a map data line isn't present; some users may want to continue and the others will at least get the warning (which should let them know to stop).

jason