[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cevo 2 -- cleaned up version

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cevo 2 -- cleaned up version
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:37:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have posted a cleaned up version of cevo to the ftp site.  Someone with
> > the relevant password should probably remove the old one.  I have replaced
> > the following sprites to eliminate copyright concerns:
> >   submarine
>
> I am looking at my Civ 2 graphics. The submarine unit does not look anything
> like the sub unit you eliminated. In fact your replacement has an uncanny
> resemblance ;-). The black sub in the original cevo is nowhere near similar
> to the silver sub I see in units.gif in my Civ 2 directory.

It was color-shifted.  I have also looked at (though forgotten --
therefore no copy!) the civ2 units.  The color-variation between pixels is
the same in civ2 sub and the removed one.  The one can be turned into the
other by careful applycation of gimp's brightness/contrast and
hue/saturation/luminesence filters.  While I haven't studied the law, I
suspect this is an infringement.

> >   silk (ouch!)
>
> The silk does look unnaturally similar.
>
> >   roads
> >   iron
> >   gold
> >   game (i.e. on tundra)
> >   oil
> > I have replaced them with non-civ2 sprites.  Note that alpine troops
> > remain -- while they are extremely similar, they are not merely
> > color-shifted, but actually redrawn.
>
> The originals were from Civ 2? I'm wondering how come Microprose has not
> cracked down on C-evo.

Probably because most of the graphics are new (or copied from acceptable
sources -- I saw many hires sprites there!) and c-evo is small and
obscure.  Of course, they may also be permitting it to mine ideas for civ4
;)

--Daniel Speyer
If you *don't* consider sharing information to be morally equivalent to
kidnapping and murder on the high seas, you probably shouldn't use the
phrase "software piracy."