[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] Move cost map interface

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] Move cost map interface
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:08:08 +0200

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 04:39:20PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:

> > > Disagree.  unit_move_type doesn't know such things as city_map and
> > > igter_move.
> >
> > city_map returns a lot of hits and igter_move none.
>
> city_map is reason enough althout I believe igter_move will be introduced
> too

Please explain to me what you mean with city_map and igter_move. Is
city_map a warmap which is created out of a city?

> > > don't see much difference.  all unit_move_turns does is determining the
> > > move_rate and then the abovementioned division.
> >
> > That is the problem. These solution is too easy and only an
> > estimation. I want the exact upper limit. I would also be happy if the
> > user also gets the bottom limit.
>
> limits not a problem.  just put
> moves_expended = (move_cost > moves_left ? moves_left + move_cost
>                                          : move_cost)
> for the upper and
> moves_expended = (move_cost > moves_left ? moves_left
>                                          : move_cost)
> for the lower.

This isn't about moves but about turns. I want information like "the
settler with id 4 will arrive at (4,5) in at most 5 turns and there
will have 1/3 moves left (so it can start build the road at this
turn)". Even better would be "and the settler can achieve the same
distance in 3 turns if it has luck".

> > > BTW how about getting rid of the randomness in the move.  That would make
> > > calculation of the _exact_ move_time possible!
> >
> > This may be possible.
>
> it really screws up most of AI calculation and if we put FACTOR to be 1/2
> nobody would notice anyway.

What about conformance to other civs?

        Raimar

--