[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different city radii

To: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different city radii
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 18:56:45 -0500

At 01:05 PM 02/04/04 -0500, Jason Short wrote:
>Alan Schmitt wrote:
>I do think you're going about it the wrong way: you should think not in
>terms of the specific shape that the city area takes, but instead make
>the shape a circle and just use the radius.  The same concept could
>apply to units' vision areas, which are also circles.
>
>jason

Except that constant distance on a civ map is a square, not a circle.
Thus all these circle things produce really odd effects like being
able to move out and bash something you can't see depending on just
what direction it is coming from.

Circles are obscene :-).

In any event, Civ3 has a weighting function that totals the culture
costs from all nearby cities. The area covered is not a simple centered
shape.

Cheers,
RossW
=====