[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different city radii

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different city radii
From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 08:53:30 +0200

* Raimar Falke (hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 10:51:28PM +0100, Adolf J. Winterer wrote:
> > There should be three or four sizes for cities.
> > The smallest (villages, of sizes 1 to 4) could
> > have only 5 squares. The numbers and shapes are
> > just for illustration.
> >    X X X

Civ 3 does it this way (I'm talking about culture, the actual max radius
is the minimum between the usual civ radius and culture):
 X X X
 X C X
 X X X

> > Medium size cities (small towns, of sizes 4 to 10)
> > could have 12 squares.
>
> >      X X
> >    X X X X
> >    X X X X
> >      X X

Again for civ 3 (we now get the usual civ thing)

   X X X
 X X X X X
 X X C X X
 X X X X X
   X X X

> This doesn't look ok.
>
> > Larger cities (let's call them cities, of sizes
> > 11 to 18) could have 21 squares.
> >     X X X
> >   X X X X X
> >   X X X X X
> >   X X X X X
> >     X X X

I don't really remember, but I think civ 3 does:

   X X X X X
 X X X X X X X
 X X X X X X X
 X X X C X X X
 X X X X X X X
 X X X X X X X
   X X X X X

> > The largest cities (metropolis, of size 19 and
> > above) could have 40 squares.
> >     X X X X
> >     X X X X
> >   X X X X X X
> >   X X X X X X
> >   X X X X X X
> >   X X X X X X
> >     X X X X
> >     X X X X
>
> This is also not ok.
>
> > The city dialog certainly needs adjustments
> > to reflect these changes.
>
> AFAIK there was a consensus that such a feature would be nice and
> accepted.

This would indeed be great.

Alan

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.