[Freeciv-Dev] Re: settlers.c cleanup

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: settlers.c cleanup
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 04:19:20 -0800 (PST)

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > > +  FIXME 2: We totally ignore roads and rail. Whatever Syela says, this
> is just so broken.
> >
> > How does the autosettler code ignore road/rail? I thought it picked the
> lowest cost path to dest.
>
> It ignores them when trying to find hostile units that could kill it. That
> is a serious problem, since settlers often travel in roadified areas.

I agree. Serious buglet. What line nos should I be looking at?

> +  FIXME 3: We should not omnisciently iterate over all units in the
> world, but iterate over pplayer's autosettlers, and look for enemies that
> +  they can see on their own continent, near the shores or in the air.
>
> Disagree. Let the AI enjoy what few advantages it has. Maybe only in easy
> mode.
>
> s/that they can see//, that was intended for client-side consumption only.
>
> Is the rest of the FIXME ok, though?

Fine.

> +  FIXME 4: With units with extremely high movement in the game, this
> +  function effectively makes the autosettlers run and hide and never
> come out again. The cowards.
>
> That is the correct behaviour. The settlers should only come out with
> bodyguards. Better a live settler than a dead martyr.
>
> The correct behaviour would be to get bodyguards, yes. It doesn't do this.
> Hence the FIXME is correct.

You're not mentioning bodyguards as the solution. A naive interpretation of
your fixme is to make settlers come out where the units with high movement can
kill them. Bodyguarding solves many other problems.

Overall, I like this patch. I see no problems with it.