[Freeciv-Dev] Re: settlers.c cleanup

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: settlers.c cleanup
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 13:45:45 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > +  FIXME 2: We totally ignore roads and rail. Whatever Syela says, this is
> > +  just so broken.
>
> How does the autosettler code ignore road/rail? I thought it picked the lowest
> cost path to dest.

It ignores them when trying to find hostile units that could kill it. That
is a serious problem, since settlers often travel in roadified areas.

> > +  FIXME 3: We should not omnisciently iterate over all units in the world,
> > +  but iterate over pplayer's autosettlers, and look for enemies that
> > +  they can see on their own continent, near the shores or in the air.
>
> Disagree. Let the AI enjoy what few advantages it has. Maybe only in easy
> mode.

s/that they can see//, that was intended for client-side consumption only.

Is the rest of the FIXME ok, though?

> > +  FIXME 4: With units with extremely high movement in the game, this
> > +  function effectively makes the autosettlers run and hide and never come
> > +  out again. The cowards.
>
> That is the correct behaviour. The settlers should only come out with
> bodyguards. Better a live settler than a dead martyr.

The correct behaviour would be to get bodyguards, yes. It doesn't do this.
Hence the FIXME is correct.

Yours,
Per

"While we're all in favor of Arafat doing more to suppress violence in
the Middle East, we fear that he doesn't have all that much influence on
the Israeli government. " --Sam Smith