[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Introducing a new define for IgTer units (PR#1359)

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Introducing a new define for IgTer units (PR#1359)
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 03:17:59 -0800 (PST)

--- Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
>

> --- Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The idea of the patch is very right.  The implementation is not that good
>
> and terribly far from being full (see 1 and 2 below)
>
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
>
> Just read the patch. New #define, introducing IGTER_MOVE_BONUS.
> Replacing a few misplaced 3's and SINGLE_MOVE's with the correct constant.
>
> 1. by definition of IGTER units
> IGTER_MOVE_BONUS = SINGLE_MOVE / MOVE_COST_ROAD
>

> I'm not sure I agree with you here. I considered doing exactly what you
> proposed above. My reasoning is why lock in SINGLE MOVE or MOVE_COST_ROAD
when
> really they have nothing to do with igter units. Who says you can't have
igter
> units that cross squares with 1/6 move cost? This is not so hypothetical. I'm
> planning to make SINGLE_MOVE 6 instead of 3 so I can have these kind of
> fractional movepoints.
>
> According to the docs, igter units treat every terrain as a road.

The only reason they do that is because there is such a limited choice of move
costs. Nonetheless, nothing is written in stone to say that tomorrow igter
units will still treat every terrain as road. I wonder why igter units didn't
have move cost be 2 X road.

> interlacing patches...  that's difficult

Not really. I'm fixing f_s_t_k anyway.

> > > ai/advmilitary.c, line 462 -- if (unit_type_flag(i, F_IGTER) && !def) cur
>
> > > *= 3;
> >
> > This one I'm still unsure of. This cur doesn't seem to be just move_rate.

I would like your opinion on this line.

> > > ai/advmilitary.c, line 795 -- if (unit_flag(pdef, F_IGTER)) dist *= 3;
> >
> > Dist is not always move_rate either. I've yet to untangle exactly what dist
> is.

And this.

> ai/aiunit.c, line 1219 -- if (unit_flag(punit, F_IGTER)) d_val /= 1.5;

A comment here too.