[Freeciv-Dev] Re: team play (PR#1350)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: team play (PR#1350)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 03:19:13 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > The code necessary to implement this was written and included by dwp some
> > time ago, but never quite finished. I doubt much work remains to finish
>
> About what code do you think here? The observer thing?

Yes.

> I don't know how much of the following would work:
>  - merge the two players:

I don't follow. Why would we want to merge two players?

> It would be nice to get more information about how Starcraft works in
> this respect. Can the players be seperated later? Can you examine
> later which player was the original owner?

No, I think you misunderstand. It isn't two players being merged, but two
or more connections controlling the same player.

In Starcraft the connections to this player are determined before game
starts and cannot be changed (although connections can quit and the others
continue as if nothing had happened, as long as connections for this
player remain > 0).

In Freeciv we have code that is flexible enough to allow connections to
join and leave an existing player throughout the game, and even allow all
connections to quit (that is when ai control would kick in). The problem
is that this code was never really finished.

I don't think this was what dwp had in mind, since he seemed to think of
other connections to a player solely as passive observers (or so I
recall). But I would think that (barring some cooperation pitfalls) making
active connections work is less work than passive ones, since I don't see
that any changes need to be done on the client side at all for that.

Another question is, of course, how to stop connections from joining when
you don't want to share control.

Yours,
Per

"While we're all in favor of Arafat doing more to suppress violence in
the Middle East, we fear that he doesn't have all that much influence on
the Israeli government. " --Sam Smith