[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] Caching AI values

To: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] Caching AI values
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 15:09:07 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:

> I think Gregory's incremental counter is probably about the

Hey, it's nice to have you back, Ross! ;)

> best, but you might want to think about when the counter wraps.
>
> The usual fix for this is to do ((counter2 - counter1) < 0) or
> something that measures the relative vs absolute times, and thus
> works across the wrap boundary. It will fail if a value is not
> updated for more than half the time cycle, but you can't win
> them all.

i was more thinking about (counter2 != counter1) which will fail if a
value isn't updated for more than the full time cycle, unless I'm missing
something.

> How many counters might you need to (re)set on a given operation?
> Is this 1, a small fixed number, dynamic/open-ended?
>
> Is there any control on which subsets of counters might apply if
> there is an open-ended possibility?
>
> What is the way in which you determine the dependency of something
> and corresponding counter(s) to update? Is this hard coded or is
> there a "registry" for each something where counters can sign up
> to be notified?

Okay, these are very futuristic questions, but I guess one better have a
clear plan before doing things.  So here is the "ideal" situation.

But first a couple of examples:
Cached value: list of all own refuelling points of the type FUEL_CITY
(basically the list of all cities)
Counter increment: hooked up on events
--CITY_LOSS,
--CITY_ACQUISITION

Cached value: list of all friendly refuelling points
(basically the list of all cities + non-occupied airbases + ally cities)
Counter increment: hooked up on events
--CITY_ACQUISITION,
--ENEMY_DESTROYED (it could have been occupying an air-base),
--END_OF_PHASE (assuming that city loss can occur only during the enemy
                movement phase)
Note the event ENEMY_DESTROYED is higly unlikely to change the cached
value, so we can skip it here.
3. Counter <-> cached value relation can be flexible: one counter can
expire several caches.

Other possibly useful cached values: enemy cities on the continent
(useful for global invasion management, diplomat code etc)
enemy targets reachable by unittype around a city (useful for bombers etc)
wonders built on a continent (useful for caravans and not building too
many wonders at the same time).

....thinking.....
It is also possible to have event_counters rather than
cache_type_counters.  Then each cached valued will store the signature of
the relevant events.  This way, each event will increment only one counter
and each access_*_cache function will check if any of the relevant events
happened since the last update to the cache.

Which scheme is more optimal depends on the access/event frequency ratio:
if events are infrequent and accesses are, the first scheme is better.
but if event are frequent, it makes sense to update as few counters as
possible after each event.

Best,
G.