[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] Caching AI values

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] Caching AI values
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:24:52 -0600

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 02:47:28PM +0000, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > There is another solution possible:
> >  3. Update the value whenever this is necessary
>
> You probably mean "whenever environment changes".  It is a very good
> approach.  But again there are arguments against it:
> - too complicated: go trace all events which lead to "cnahge in
> environment"
> - you might be doing all this in vain --- how do you know that these
> values will ever be accessed?
>
> To implement 3 we would have to rewrite half of Freeciv to be event-driven
> system.

        My gut says that this would really only have to be re-evaluated
when a unit is killed.  Of course, I might be thinking a bit too much in my
preferred turn-based paradigm, where targets don't move out from under you
while you try to figure out how to kill them.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

'Finally, the Navy stated that [...] "However, use of the area as a live
fire range has the beneficial effect of reducing the negative impacts of
human intrusion."' - Center For Biological Diversity v Pirie and Rumsfeld